After a very productive afternoon working at the World Entrepreneurship Cafe, the participants have been invited to the new Rhône Alpes Region's Headquarter. This architectural landmark located in the Lyon Confluence area welcomed the 200 guests for the Awards Ceremony.
Since the World Entrepreneurship Forum is also a time to celebrate success and commitment, 5 internationally renowned leaders have been awarded. The event occurred under the high patronage of Mr. Laurent Fabius, French Minister of Foreign Affairs. His Excellency Mr. Charles Rivkin, US Ambassador to France and Monaco, and Ms. Anneli Hultén, Mayor of Goteborg, chaired the ceremony. Caroline Le Brun, Director of the World Entrepreneurship Forum, opened the 5th ceremony by highlighting the growing impact of the event since its inception. Jean Jack Queyranne: President of Rhône Alpes Region, Philippe Courtier: President of EMLYON Business School, Philippe Grillot: President of the Chamber of Commerce and Industry, and Gérard Collomb: Senator-Mayor of Lyon and President of ONLYLYON, consecutively greeted participants.
After a brief presentation of the trophy by Daniel Paillasseur, Founder of Korloff, the awardees were successively called to the stage:
- Dr. Mo Ibrahim, Founder of Celtel and the Mo Ibrahim Foundation, was honored the Entrepreneur for the World 2012 Award for his work in 14 African countries.
- Ms. Melissa Kushner, Founder of goods4goods, received the Young Entrepreneur Award for her altruistic and entrepreneurial spirit.
- Ms. Aude de Thuin, Founder of Women Forum and “Osons la France”, was awarded the Woman Entrepreneur Award for her pursue of greater gender parity in all of society’s seats of power.
- Ms. Irina Bokova, Director General of UNESCO, has been given the Policy Maker Award for her leadership in promoting regulations, initiatives and projects.
- Mr. Tony Meloto, Founder of Gawad Kalinga, was honored the Social Entrepreneur Award for his work on building integrated, holistic and sustainable communities in slum areas in the Philippines and East-Asia.
Finally, the second day ended just as it started: in the spirit of sharing and openness. Participants had the delighting chance to experience Zulu music and dance; a perfect teaser to conclude a rich day eventually sealed by a prestigious Gala Cocktail.